The Independent Florida Alligator is now helping you get your creative juices flowing with ‘do it yourself’ crafts that are affordable for anyone on a college budget. This crafty idea is only the first of many so get ready!

Do you ever stand in front of your door and fumble around with your keys trying to find the correct one and you still end up using the incorrect one? Well, I've got just the thing.

When I moved to Gainesville, all of a sudden I had a bunch of keys and I could never remember which one was for which door, so I decided to color-code them with nail polish. It’s an easy and quick way to make your life just a little bit easier.

Color-Coded Keys-Before

Step 1: Choose the keys you want to paint. (It took me a while just to get my keys off the key ring, so I hope you have better luck!)

Step 2: Choose the colors you want to use.

Step 3: Get to painting! I recommend painting two coats on both sides each key, just so the color is vibrant and strong. You can get as creative as you want with it, with polka dots, diagonal stripes… It’s all you! Paint one side and wait for the paint to dry before flipping it over and painting the other side. If you mess up in any way, just get a cotton ball and remove the color with nail polish remover and start over.

Color-Coded Keys-After

(Just a heads-up, if you are going to paint the entire key, the part that actually goes into the lock is going to start flaking off with time, so my suggestion is just to stick to the top).

I hope this quick and easy DIY craft becomes just as convenient for you as it has for me. Until next time!