Cheers to Oktoberfest; enjoying the season's beers

Cigar City Oktoberfest
Cigar City Oktoberfest

O'zapft is! (At the opening ceremony for Oktoberfest, the mayor of Munich taps the first keg and proclaims "O'zapft is!" — which means "It's tapped!" Oktoberfest is officially open and the beer can flow.)

While the official Oktoberfest festival in Munich ended on Monday, beer drinkers around the world continue to celebrate the popular style by picking up a pint of this seasonal favorite.

So, what is so special about the Oktoberfest style?

According to German tradition, real Oktoberfest beer is brewed only by the six major breweries within the city limits of Munich: Augustiner, Löwenbräu, Paulaner, Spaten, Hofbräu and Hacker-Pschorr. These “Big Six” are the only breweries allowed to participate in the Munich Oktoberfest. Spaten made history when it brewed the first amber-colored Märzen-style beer at the 1872 Oktoberfest — the birth of the current Oktoberfest style.

Originally brewed in March to help combat quality control issues brewers were having through the hot, summer months, the style is alternatively known as Märzen — or March — style.

The colors of today’s variations can range from deep gold to dark amber, with German domestics tending to have a lighter appearance and exports leaning more towards the dark. The style showcases a balance of rich, malt flavor and crisp hops with an underlying element of sweetness.

American domestic brewers have made their mark on the style by implementing their own variations on the historical brew, with U.S. versions usually boasting a heavier and more malt-based flavor. There are plenty of Oktoberfest-style beers to be found around town, from Samuel Adam’s Octoberfest — a strong and spiced variety — to Victory’s Festbier — a smooth and sweet interpretation of the European-fest style.

I chose to try Cigar City’s Oktoberfest draft, the brewery’s first foray into the world of lagers. The orange-caramel-colored brew was topped with a clean, slightly off-white head, and the taste was laced with hints of floral and spicy hops. The earthy flavors up front fade into a bittersweet aftertaste that makes for a traditional and incredibly drinkable beer. A tinge of alcohol helped to round out the flavor with an ABV of 5.5 percent.

While I tried other breweries’ takes on the style, Cigar City’s remained my top choice thanks to its balance of taste that avoided being too heavy or light, a flaw which could have led to overpowering one of the great underlying flavors. This brew could definitely turn into my beer of choice for October.

Gainesville House of Beer is the only bar in town to offer it, with the only other keg in the region all the way in Tallahassee.

To complement your Oktoberfest beer choice, head over to Stubbies and Steins for its German food selection. The Australian-and-German-themed bar offers a bevy of bratwursts, fried potato pancakes, classic schnitzels and other regional favorites.

If you still haven’t gotten to celebrate Oktoberfest this year don’t worry, the style usually stays around until late October or early November when the winter ales start appearing. Pour a glass of a “Big Six” Oktoberfest beer or one of the American craft varieties — like Cigar City’s — and let the festival’s spirit live on.

Cigar City’s Oktoberfest is available on tap at Gainesville House of Beer, located at 19 W. University Ave. It is not yet available bottled.

Posts in Beer for Breakfast appear on Wednesdays.