Recipes for fall: pumpkin and chocolate chip bread

I always get super excited for autumn because the first day, September 22nd, falls (pun intended) conveniently on my birthday! Even though the leaves don't change in Florida, we still know how to celebrate the start of fall with an abundance of pumpkin-flavored products.

Something you should know about me is that I am a pumpkin fiend. It doesn't just kick in when the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte signs appear, and it doesn't go away when Einstein Bros. stops serving pumpkin-flavored bagels and "schmear."

In my humble opinion, pumpkin is a year-round flavor. Unfortunately, society doesn't share that belief with me, so I have to take advantage of pumpkin-themed goodies exclusively from September to November. But I'm not complaining, the more pumpkin the merrier!

I've made pumpkin whoopie pies, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin scones, pumpkin granola bars and pumpkin pudding popsicles, but my all time favorite pumpkin recipe is pumpkin chocolate chip bread.

You know when you come home from college and you want Mom to make you a home cooked, special meal? I ask for this. It's not even fair how good it is. This recipe is from my mom's ancient copy of the "Joy of Cooking." I highly recommend making a loaf (or two?) to welcome the fall season.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Source: "Joy of Cooking"

Makes one 9-by-5 inch loaf.

Ingredients:

1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves

1⁄3 cup water or milk

1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla

6 tablespoons (3⁄4 stick) butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1⁄ 3 cup packed brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 cup canned pumpkin puree

1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.

3. In another small bowl, combine milk and vanilla.

4. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugars until fluffy.

5. Beat in eggs, one at a time.

6. Fold in pumpkin puree.

7. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk mixture, beating on low speed or stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth.

8. Gently fold in chocolate chips.

9. Pour and spread evenly into the prepared pan.

10. Bake about one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean; cool before unmolding on to a wire rack.

For more recipes from Becca Goldring, check out www.becca-bakes.com.

Posts in Chomp and Chew appear on Fridays.