Monday, March 18, 2024

Coming to college comes with a whole new pool of nerves.

Deciding what to wear is one of the most nerve-wracking subjects upon entering. No one wants to be the over-gatored freshman who wears orange and blue from head to toe with matching accessories. School spirit is great, but one Gator shirt can get the point across. Save the crazy orange Crocs for game day, or don’t. You do you.

Certainly, there are in terms a few ‘groups’ perse that you can clearly identify. Not to stereotype, as I am one (go Gamma Phi Beta), but the sorority girl is commonly seen in yoga pants, gym shorts, a sorority shirt, labeled rain-jacket or either a colorful pair of Nikes or a pair of Jack Roger’s sandals. It’s simple to tell who is part of a sisterhood at UF, and identifying the frat boys is equally as easy. They are usually in a polo tucked into a pair of khaki shorts accompanied by a pair of boat shoes. Not necessarily saying they all dress this way, but it can’t be argued that a great majority does. It’s the Greek-life way: cute, casual and comfortable.

Aside from the Greek world at UF, there is also the world of sports. Athletes at UF have intense practice schedules, and they can usually be seen in a cooling jacket, jersey or club sport shirt with a pair of sweats or Nike shorts. They probably just ran 6 miles to class and still look put-together versus you who probably just begged your friend to give you a ride on their moped to class. Yeah! Sports!

A small handful of students are the over-dressers. These students are the ones that take time to get ready.  Their makeup is always done and their outfits are always on fleek (or insert some other internet term that’s “in” with the Internet kids). Sitting next to someone in a freshly ironed sundress while I’m in leggings and a free t-shirt I got walking through Turlington, makes it look like they have their life together and are dressed to impress. My 8:30 a.m. class will continue to see me in gym clothes, I can assure you that.

The point is to dress how you want. The great part about being in college is that everyone has a bit of their own style and can express it how they choose. No one is going to judge you. You could wear a trash bag and yes, maybe you will get a few stares, but in the end everyone is there trying to learn, make it to lectures on time and get a degree.

Don’t stress. Leave your high school shirts at home, buy some gator merchandise and clothing you feel comfortable and happy in. Whether it’s a suit jacket or t-shirt, or both if you’re wild, it really doesn’t matter. Be yourself.