Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The book “Room” was just too good to put into words.

I ended up picking this book up because I heard rave reviews about it.

Plus, it was just made into a movie.

WARNING: Do not watch the movie trailer before reading the book because the trailer has many spoilers.

“Room: by Emma Donoghue was better than I could have expected.

This book is about a mother and her 5-year-old boy named Jack, who have been kept in a small room for many years now. They are kept in this room because Jack’s mom was abducted as a college student by a man named Old Nick. For Jack, this room is all he has ever known and he thinks this is all there is in the world. After his 5th birthday, his mom finally decides to try to explain the real world to him, and she tries to convince him that they need to escape this room.

I can’t say much else without spoiling the book. The book is all about whether Jack’s mom is able to convince Jack to go along with the escape plan. Also, Jack’s mom has to consider how Jack will be affected if they do escape.

I feel like it’s odd to say this plot line intrigued me so much, but I think it drew me in because there are so many real-world examples of this scenario. The most current example I can think of is Jaycee Dugard, who also had her own children after she finally escaped.

This book is also told from Jack’s perspective, which at first, was really hard to follow because it was so hard to follow a character who knew so little about the outside world. Also he is 5 years old so that adds some difficulties.

Once I could easily follow Jack’s narrative, it was a fun read. I instantly became addicted to this book.

The one drawback of this book was the ending. Lately I just find that I hate endings of books because there always seems to be so many loose ends and so many unanswered questions.

The ending made sense for the book, but it was much too predictable. The last 50 pages of the book also dragged on for a little too long.

Overall if you’re looking for a book with characters to root for and an interesting plot line, I highly recommend “Room” for you.