Two reads for before school gets crazy

A Streetcar Named Desire

The whirlwind story of Blanche DuBois, Stella and Stanley Kowalski will leave you anxious to read more at the turn of every page. The short play by Tennessee Williams is set in the roaring town of blues, New Orleans. The emotions from two sisters Blanche and Stella seep out of the pages as social class, sexuality and loyalty play out with the presence of Stella’s brutish husband Stanley. The sensual tense atmosphere finally reaches its boiling point, and the family ‘s way of life changes dramatically forever. Pick up this play in your last weeks, and you will forget your stresses as you become captivated by this tale. I also recommend picking up the old movie when you are finished.

The Stranger

Albert Camus’ dark tale of an apathetic man and the consequences of one decision is the perfect thought-provoker to get you in the mindset for those analytical papers just around the corner. Mersault’s odd nature has always left him disconnected from society. Relationships with his mother and girlfriend are defined only by social obligation and lust. He only starts to care when he gets arrested for cold-blooded murder. How’s that for interesting? A breeze to get through, Camus makes you question what it is to be truly human.