<p>"Relationship," by Radu Chibzii (1992)<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/radu_chibzii/"></a></p>

"Relationship," by Radu Chibzii (1992)

Here are some questions I’m afraid we’ll never have solid answers for: Why do people cheat? Why mess up a perfectly good relationship? Why continue to stay in a bad one if you’re unhappy?

It is a fear that every person has. Whether it’s rational or not or prominently shown, people are scared of getting cheated on. Scared of placing so much faith in a person, only to be betrayed.

Well, this fear has become a reality for me. After being officially broken up for a few months now, an ex of mine recently revealed that he cheated on me — two weeks before our one-year anniversary, no less.

You could say I am a bit distressed.

Okay, distressed is euphemized. To be truly honest, I was in shock. Even after I had moved on, the pain became as fresh as the day we broke up. The part that stinks most is that he can now move on, feeling oh-so-much better after getting his dirty little secret off his chest. And I’m the one left with trust issues.

Not every person is like this; I understand that. I’m not saying that the next guy I call my boyfriend will cheat on me. But it has now become a very real possibility.

When somebody cheats on their significant other, certain things that were special with one person become commonplace with anyone. I talked with a friend who made a bad decision a few years ago and cheated on her boyfriend at the time. Even though she feels bad, now she can’t shake the feeling of what it would be like with another person while she’s already in a relationship. After you go to that place once, it becomes more appealing to take action with someone else while you have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

A relationship is supposed to be between two people. If you want some third party to step in, then it’s time for you to step out. Nothing good ever comes out of cheating.

If you’re unhappy with your significant other, then end the relationship. Going through a breakup is hard enough without having to deal with getting cheated on. Once you’re single, you can get into all the shenanigans you want. Just stay faithful.

One wild night is not worth the damage that follows in its wake.

"Relationship," by Radu Chibzii (1992)

"Relationship," by Radu Chibzii (1992)