The Starving Gator: Healthy summer snack alternatives

It’s a cruel irony that Summer, the season of swim suits and short-shorts, is also the season of endless ice cream sundaes, barbecues and a plethora of other unhealthy food choices. I have a major sweet tooth, and once I start, I usually can’t stop. A small scoop of vanilla quickly turns into a triple chocolate brownie sundae with hot fudge and extra whip cream. Since I’ve been trying my hardest to make healthier choices recently, I thought I’d share some of my favorite healthier alternatives to our classic summer favorites. These are super quick, easy, and only require a few ingredients, so (unfortunately) we no longer have an excuse to conveniently call up Dominos. 

Instead of pizza, try pizza cracker bites. All you’ll need is a box of Wheat Thins (or any kind of cracker you like), shredded mozzarella cheese, and a bottle of marinara sauce. Simply place the crackers on a plate, spread some sauce on each one and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Then pop them in the microwave or oven for a few minutes and you’ve got mini pizzas! Not only will these save you a lot of carbs, they’re also easy and fun to take to a summer picnic. 

Instead of ice cream, try raspberry yogurt with chocolate chips. This one is probably the easiest of the three and the most delicious! Just take a container of raspberry (or any flavor you like!) low-fat yogurt from the store and pop it in the freezer! It’s literally frozen yogurt, just without all the fat and sugar the soft-serve variety usually has. For fun, sprinkle on a few chocolate chips to make it feel like you’re really indulging when you’re actually not. 

Instead of apple pie, try apple and peanut butter. We’ve all had the classic apples and peanut butter snack, right? Well then mix it up a little bit! Throw in some cinnamon with your peanut butter to really mimic the flavor of that classic pie we all love. You could also throw in some raisins or chocolate chips! This is a chance to get creative. 

So there you have it! Eating healthy really doesn’t have to be hard, even in the summer time. Indulging once and a while is fine (and sometimes totally necessary) but all of these snacks will keep your sweet tooth satisfied while giving you a boost in nutrition.