Apple-colored jeans. But no boots with the fur.

Blue jeans are an American staple worn by everyone from field workers to multimillion dollar celebrities. But as a culture we become bored with the uniform, monotonous look of denim.

So in come the colored jeans, the printed jeans and the bedazzled jeans.

Jeans all over the spectrum, from True Religion to Target brand, have been churning out designs and prints that represent the entire rainbow.

From paisley prints to floral patterns no design is too much for these fashionable pants. And whether the pants have a satin shine or a snake-patterned sheen, they are sure to turn eyes away from the dull blacks and grays of the winter season.

But with such a statement item how can these patterned pants and dolled-up denims be paired with tops, jackets and shoes?

Try a simple pair of flats for shoes. Any pair of leather boots, even if they’re your favorite pair of Tory Burch’s, will become overwhelming to the eye. J. Crew has some fabulous pairs of ballet flats that will match just about any winter clothing item you can throw at it.

For a top, utilize those cream, brown and black sweaters you have been dying to yank out of your closet for winter. If it isn’t too cold of a day try a simple blazer. Personally, my black blazer becomes Jacket of the Year around the winter months and manages to match nearly any jean pattern or color out there without becoming overwhelming.

My best advice is to not be afraid to rock those crazy pattern jeans you’ve had locked up in your closet because you’re unsure how it will go. In a worse case scenario, people will not know who you are because they will be too busy looking at your wild pants to see your face.

So channel your inner Gwen Stefani and make the bold fashion statement. And hey, if the barely-of-age Dakota Fanning can do it, so can you.