I’ve been dodging sneezes, lately, like Trinity dodged bullets in "The Matrix." Yes, I’m incredibly skilled, but I don’t look nearly as great in skin-tight leather. (If you haven’t seen "The Matrix," what the hell is wrong with you?)

Every auditorium-style class I attend is accented by a chorus of coughs and sneezes. We all know it’s cold and flu season.

Conventional advice is to get a flu shot but that doesn’t protect against all strands of the flu. It’s important to take other preventive measures: wash your hands frequently, get plenty of rest, limit stress and eat a healthy diet. But, even if only for a placebo effect, I like to feel like I’m doing something extra.

Admittedly, I’m a little crunchier than your average 30-year-old college junior. I make my own deodorant, use coconut oil for nearly everything and I wouldn’t dream of serving my family food from BPA-lined cans. So, I figured I’d consult my network of crunchy-minded people (on Facebook, of course) to find out what they believe cures or prevents the cold or flu.

Ashley Wilson recommends elderberry mixed with honey. He believes it cuts his sick time by four days.

Salina Gould makes what she calls “souped-up Brahmastra tea” for any illness involving congestion. Her recipe: “garlic, ginger and onions simmered in water for 30 minutes or longer; then add cayenne pepper, honey and lemon.”

Numerous people recommended probiotics. Some said they double the dose during times of illness.

Anne Brunson believes that acupuncture “can cure you in four hours.”

GinaMarie Russo Mackritis used a method she found in an herb book. She describes the regimen as, “Two teaspoons of cayenne pepper, one and 1/2 teaspoons of salt, one cup of water, one cup of apple cider vinegar. You crush the cayenne and salt together with a mortar and pestle until it’s almost like a paste. Add one cup of boiling water to the mix. Cover and let it steep until cool. Then add the cup of apple cider vinegar. Take up to one tablespoon every 30 minutes.”

Samara Golabuk Crutchfield got this recipe from a friend: “Ginger, garlic and cayenne decoction with fresh lemon juice; drink a whole gallon in under two hours.”

Several people recommended moderate sun exposure to increase vitamin D levels.

Two people even recommended staying away from people.

I used to think the flu was just a bad cold. It’s not. I’ve only had the flu once in my life, and, from that experience, I gained insight into how people with compromised immune system can actually die from it. It’s incredibly rough. So, if you have the flu, please stay home!