A strong central core is a mirror that deflects warm, bright light even in coldest darkness.

Building a high self-esteem and knowing yourself will help you realize what you want in your life and give you the strength to get it faster. Here are some techniques from Planned Parenthood on how to build amazing self-esteem.

1. Set goals for yourself

Isn’t it cathartic when you write a nice long list and scratch off the items as you finish them? There is nothing better than confronting obstacles and overcoming them successfully. If you want to be a better person, do better things. Demand more of yourself, but only to the point you know you can reach. As you reach your goals, you redefine what you can do, and you move items from the “To Do” list, to the “Nailed it” one.

2. Give yourself three compliments a day

I’m beautiful. I’m intelligent. I’m healthy. It’s as simple as that. These little compliments help you remember that your life is worth living and that you have a lot going for you. Build yourself up by breaking down the basic components of why you are awesome. If you’re feeling like crap because something didn’t work out or someone didn’t act the way you’d like them to, compliment yourself. “It was great the way I handled that so maturely,” or “I will find something better because I will work for it.” Little talks like these will help you keep moving forward.

3. Do unrequested nice things for others

Isn’t it amazing when someone pops out of the blue with a beautiful gift or says something that makes you feel great? These things make you feel like you’re walking on sunshine, but it’s also important to reciprocate these actions toward others. Do something nice for someone. Buy them a cupcake in their favorite flavor. Stand in line for free tickets for the two of you. Make them smile unexpectedly. The fact that you do something that you don’t have to do will not only make them feel good, it will bring you happiness too.

4. Accomplishments

Define five accomplishments in your life that you are most proud of. These can be events or activities that you have lived through that have changed you positively, and have made you who you are today. Think back on those and remember that they were most likely challenging in the beginning, but they bear no difficulty now. You got through it, and it felt great. Now create new challenges for you to accomplish. List five things you know you can ace, and rock it.

At the end of the day, remember that no one is going to change your life but you. A fairy godmother is not going to appear and wave a wand to make your life magical. Some days you have to make your own sunshine and if you can do that, you can do anything.