Spinach & sun-dried tomato calzone

Jamie says:  I made my first calzone! I found the recipe in Eating Well magazine. This wasn’t just any calzone, though. The recipe calls for tofu. If you’ve never had tofu or are a little skeptical of it, give it a try (or second try). You may be surprised by how it takes on the flavors of the other ingredients in the meal and how good it can be. 

Spinach & Sun-Dried Tomato Calzone

Ingredients:

• no-stick cooking spray (PAM)
  • one 14 oz package extra firm tofu (NaSoya tofuplus)
  • 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed (Publix)
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, Julienne cut (California Sun Dry, can be found in the produce section of Publix)
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (Publix)
  • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (Publix)
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 16 oz multi-grain pizza dough (Publix bakery)
  • one 15 oz can tomato sauce (Contadina) 

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 475°F.  Coat a large baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
  2. Drain tofu by firmly pressing paper towels on it. (It’s OK if it crumbles. It’s better to get the moisture out.) Place tofu in a large bowl.  If spinach is not thawed, microwave it until is, and then add it to the large bowl.  Add sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, onion powder, salt and pepper. Use hands to mix well.
  3. Spread dough out on the baking sheet. Spread the mixture from the large bowl onto half the dough. Fold over the dough to make a pocket. Pinch the edges closed with a fork to seal. Using a knife, make several small slits in the top of the dough. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. 
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned on top. About 3 minutes before calzone is done, pour sauce in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 2 minutes or until hot. Slice calzone in half. Serve with sauce on the side. Serves: 2-4. Enjoy!

Wow! Great dinner! Kathryn was so impressed, too. The multi-grain crust was crisp and had a nice nutty flavor. The filling with the warm tofu crumble was moist and delicious, and the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes imparted a nice, strong flavor.

Nutrition note: The tofu in this recipe is a great substitute for ricotta cheese, because tofu is lower in calories, higher in protein and lower in fat than full-fat cheese.

For more of our recipes, please visit Two Sisters, One Kitchen.