Using fashion icons as inspiration to create a unique you

While fashion operates by showcasing collections at fashion weeks and magazine ads, the one person that makes that Gucci dress memorable to the masses — especially to the non-fashion educated —is a celebrity.

Remember that skimpy green chiffon Versace dress that Jennifer Lopez wore back at the 2000 Grammy Awards? Eleven years later, that is still one of the most talked about dresses. In fact, three days ago Access Hollywood had a special that wondered if the actress/singer/dancer could still pull off that dress after having her twins. Also known for her many outfits and fashion line, Jenny from the Block has pushed herself into pop culture greatness as one of the most memorable fashion icons for over a decade.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo courtesy of Style

In just a little over four years, the Lady Gaga from day one has wowed us all with her over-the-top choices. From her Kermit-the-Frog ensemble to her 3-D bubble dress, Gaga knows how to put on a show both on and off the stage. While many have accused her for being a Madonna copy-cat or David Bowie wannabe, she knows they are her inspiration, but she took that inspiration and turned up the volume big time. Her "Bad Romance" video is one of her best, and it features Alexander McQueen's classic lobster claw heels. With Thierry Mugler creative director Nicola Formichetti on her fashion board, there is no limit to what she will come up with. No matter what the critics accuse her of, if there's one thing we can all agree on it's that her avant-garde fashion choices do not rest.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo courtesy of Stylelist

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo courtesy of accessAtlanta

"Sex and the City," even though it ended seven years ago, is still remembered for its risqué storylines and most importantly, fashion. Sarah Jessica Parker's character Carrie Bradshaw is one of TV's most fashionable characters, and like her TV counterpart, Parker also has quite the fashion taste. Since then, she has become a household name thanks to the TV show and has made over accessorizing cool and nameplate necklaces an accessory must have.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo courtesy of Personalized Boutique

In the 60s, it was all about Jackie O, and now our current first lady, Michelle Obama is the fashionable lady of the White House. Sporting both high and low fashions, Obama clearly has taste and knows what works for her. She also knows what designer will be in-her inaugural gowns have taken the once unknown Jason Wu and turned him into one of the biggest names in fashion. Being one of the head figures to represent the U.S. is hard work, but at least she looks chic through it all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhoto courtesy of Harper's Bazaar

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhoto courtesy of MSNBC Today

Queen of the catwalk, Kate Moss is one of the world's most sought-out models. Her waifish looks for Calvin Klein ads made the skinny heroin look "in." After seeing models come and go, Moss has stood the tests of time. In an industry where models are washed out by age 26, the 37-year-old mother is still admired and a muse to fashion designers. Her style is effortless and edgy at the same time. Her recent strut for Louis Vuitton's Spring 2012 ready-to-wear collection proves that she will be the last model standing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo courtesy of The Fashionist

The Olsen twins have come a long way since their baby days as Michelle Tanner on the hit show "Full House." The NYU dropouts have been in the highs and lows of fashion, being on best- and worst-dressed lists. Of course, making the best of their mistakes, the twins have started their own fashion line called The Row, named after Saville Row in London. They seemed to have made some wanted pieces inspired by their former dumpster-chic, better known as boho-chic, look into a trend.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photo courtesy of Teen Vogue

These fashion icons are innovative and have captured our attention by being themselves and wearing what they want and like. Developing your own sense of style is something that takes time — and a couple of fashion faux pas along the way. But most importantly, just be original. Don't wear exactly what the mannequin is wearing, and you don't have to wear one brand from head-to-toe. Mix and match different pieces such as brand names, vintage, thrift, mom's closet pieces and do-it-yourself creations to produce a look that's originally you. Take inspiration from the above mentioned and be your own icon.

Posts in If the Choo Fits appear on Tuesdays.