This weekend the Gators will face off against Vanderbilt for the annual Homecoming football game and a chance for a homefield victory. One of the most exciting aspects of Homecoming weekend is the return of alumni who eagerly roam University Avenue reliving the unique thrill of a Gator football gameday.

It must be fun for them to see how Gainesville has changed since they threw their caps in the air and entered the real world. Some alumni might seek out their favorite restaurant in the hope that a bite of cheesy pizza or a juicy burger will elicit fond memories of their college days. Others might search out what is new and tasty in the constantly changing Gainesville food scene.

In the spirit of Homecoming, here are some suggestions for both tried and true eateries and promising new traditions. The wildcard option falls somewhere in between the timeline, but it should definitely be noted. Enjoy the weekend and go Gators!

Game Day Spot:

Classic: The Swamp Restaurant

Named the No. 1 college sports bar restaurant in America, The Swamp has been serving up beer and burgers since 1994 and is hands down the best place to watch a home or away game.

Fresh: Gator's Dockside 

Featuring a barrage of giant television screens and a tasty tailgate-inspired menu, the rousing atmosphere at Gator's Dockside is perfect for game day spectating.

Wildcard: Mother's Pub

This pub is a great place to get rowdy and cheer on the gators. With $2 burgers on Wednesdays and cold beers constantly on tap, it's no wonder Mother's is always packed on game day.

Breakfast:

Classic: Bagels & Noodles (Formerly Bagels Unlimited)

They might have added Pho, but this eatery still touts the same reliable menu of fresh made bagels, omelets, sandwiches and pancakes. Even some of the staff remains relatively unchanged, so you're likely to see some familiar faces.

Fresh: Peach Valley Café

Check out this place on Sunday morning for a scrumptious breakfast or brunch before heading out of Gainesville. Don't forget to try their famous apple fritters!

Wildcard: The Jones Eastside

While promoting local, sustainable food, The Jones offers everything from a salmon omelette to brioche French toast to biscuits and gravy.

Pizza:

Classic: Leonardo's by the Slice

Leonardo's has been a pizza destination for the freshest freshman to the most seasoned alumni. The garlic rolls and oven-fired slices are almost synonymous with thinking of Gainesville.

Fresh: Pazza Bistro

Newly opened in 2010 on Archer Road, this bistro features four levels of pizza pleasure: basic, traditional, supreme and special. The "Pazza" pie is loaded with Alfredo, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, artichokes and Parma ham.

Wildcard: Satchel's Pizza

Opened in 2003, Satchel himself can still be found at the restaurant serving up quality pizza that's worth the wait and drive. Besides the food, Satchel's Pizza is best known for the eccentric decor, junk shop and remodeled Volkswagen van that has been transformed into tables for your dining experience.

Coffee Shop:

Classic: Maude's Classic Cafe

Situated in the heart of Downtown, Maude's offers a quiet place to study, enjoy some locally brewed coffee or chat with a friend about post-college life.

Fresh: The Bull

Owned by the same people that brought you The Jones and Civilization, this trendy coffee-shop-by-day and bar-by-night downtown spot serves up fair trade coffee and locally brewed Swamp Head beer. It's a great place to study during the day and see some live music in the evening.

Wildcard: Volta Coffee, Tea & Chocolate

Opened in 2008, Volta stresses the importance of quality brewed coffee and tea. Their baristas are intensely trained to provide you with all the crucial information about your beverage of choice.

Fine Dining:

Classic: Emiliano's Cafe

For more than 25 years Emiliano's has been satisfying hungry downtown restaurant go-ers with superior Latin food. Recently, they have even started a live jazz night.

Fresh: The Warehouse Restaurant & Lounge

For more information, read this review.

Wildcard: Paramount Grill

For 10 years, Paramount Grill has been creating innovative menus for their patrons. The current dinner menu features seared swordfish, braised buffalo short ribs and grilled duck breast.

Frozen Dessert:

Classic: Sweet Dreams Homemade Ice Cream

Since 2004, Sweet Dreams has been churning out locally made ice cream. Flavors include salty marshmallow peanut butter chocolate covered pretzel, pumpkin pie, pineapple upside-down cake and 36 different varieties of chocolate to be offered during the Fall Chocolate Night event.

Fresh: Mochi Frozen Yogurt

With its three thriving locations, Mochi reigns supreme for frozen yogurt in Gainesville. The pay-per-once system and wide array of fruity, nutty and chocolate-coated toppings make you the master of your cup. The only restraint is your imagination.

Wildcard: Karma Cream

Opened in 2007, this locally based ice cream shop features many vegan-friendly options. Since it is game day after all, go ahead and get a beer float, which is Karma Cream's twist on a classic root beer float but adapted with one of their unique craft beers.

For more from Becca Goldring, check out www.becca-bakes.com.

Posts in Chomp and Chew appear on Fridays.