Celebrate National Soy Foods Month with tempeh

Fermented soybean cakes might not sound appealing at first, but fermenting as related to food science simply describes the conversion of carbohydrates into alcohol and carbon dioxide through the use of mold spores. While some might be hesitant to encourage bacteria in foods as a positive addition, don’t forget our beloved pizzas would be incomplete without fermentation to produce the cheese, and our Friday nights would be a little less exciting without the fermentation process used in beer.

But I’m not here to talk about cheese — unless the brand is Tofutti — because April is National Soy Foods Month. For the next 31 days, I’m down to fill my stomach with delicious fermented soybean cakes, otherwise known as tempeh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In Gainesville, we offer an overabundance of soy products on local restaurant menus. Eating vegan in Gainesville is as easy as bowling with bumpers; however, you don’t have to follow a vegan diet to enjoy meat alternatives. For example, tempeh is a fantastic source of protein and can be grilled, pan-fried, baked, blackened or crumbled.

In other parts of the country, it’s hard to find people that even know what tempeh is, but locally, we are lucky enough house two terrific tempeh producers. Artie’s Tempeh and The Tempeh Shop provide tempeh to about 50 locations in Gainesville as well as some in other parts of north central Florida.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of Florida Coastal Cooking

For those readers still not clear of what tempeh is, it is a traditional soy product from Indonesia produced by using fermentation and forming soybeans into a patty. Tempeh uses the full soy bean, which gives it higher protein, fiber and vitamin content than tofu. When cooked, tempeh has a distinctly nutty flavor, but overall, it is mild until seasoned with spices or sauces. Below are tempeh-focused dishes that will help you creatively and adequately celebrate soy foods all month long!

Tempeh Reuben Sandwich – Sisters (The Tempeh Shop)

Sloppy Tempeh Joe – New Deal Cafe (Artie’s Tempeh)

Tempeh Burrito – Boca Fiesta (Artie’s Tempeh)

Tempeh Fried Rice – Tasty Buddha (Artie’s Tempeh)

Thai Peanut Tempeh Wrap – The Jones Eastside (The Tempeh Shop)

Tempeh Breakfast Quesadilla – 43rd Street Deli (The Tempeh Shop)

Curry Tempeh – Reggae Shack Cafe (The Tempeh Shop)

Tempeh Taco Salad – El Indio (Artie’s Tempeh)

Green Market Salad with Tempeh – The Swamp Restaurant (Artie’s Tempeh)

Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich – The Top (The Tempeh Shop)

Tempeh Waldorf Sandwich – Tempo Bistro to Go (The Tempeh Shop)

$2 Wednesday Tempeh Burgers – Mother's Pub & Grill (Artie’s Tempeh)

Tempeh Garden Pasta – O!O Garden Grille (The Tempeh Shop/Artie’s Tempeh)

Buffalo Tempeh Pizza – Blue Highway Pizza (Artie’s Tempeh)

Tempeh Pastry – Flaco's (Artie’s Tempeh)

Sweet & Smoky BBQ Tempeh Wrap – Harvest Thyme Cafe (Artie’s Tempeh)

Tempeh Nachos – The Laboratory (The Tempeh Shop)

Posts in Chomp and Chew appear on Thursdays. For more from Becca, check out her personal blog at www.becca-bakes.com.