Life lessons from '90s sitcoms better than any current shows

<p>Self-explanatory.</p>

Self-explanatory.

Every Friday night when I was about 10 or 11 years old, I would tune in to ABC's "TGIF" segment and watch one of the most-loved ’90s teen sitcoms: "Boy Meets World." I couldn't wait to see what crazy adventures Cory Matthews and Co. would get into. And to fawn over Shawn Hunter, of course. What a babe.

While doing "research" for this blog entry, I decided to treat myself with a "BMW" episode. Eleven years later, Cory's famous poem "Frustration" still gets to me. Shows like "BMW," "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" and "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (I could go on forever) were so simple yet so addicting. The dialogue alone was better than that of half the teen dramas I see on ABC Family today. ("The Secret Life of the American Teenager"? Hello? The title is just way too long.)

Back in the ’90s, there were more teen sitcoms than teen dramas. People like Will Smith would get in trouble for teaching his cousin Ashley how to play drums instead of her practicing violin, not for knocking up a girl. Nearly every episode of "90210" or "Gossip Girl" I watch today has either murder, muggings, teen pregnancy or all sorts of other depressing things. Although these are important things to be aware of, can't there be happy topics, too?

And the concepts were so original, too! I mean, "Sabrina the Teenage Witch"? Who wouldn't want to be a girl with supernatural powers and a snarky talking cat?

The late 2000s and most of the 2010s brought forth a new kind of teen show — most of them geared toward a younger audience. At times, I would flip to the Disney Channel and watch an episode of "Hannah Montana," and after it ended, I found myself thinking that I never would have enjoyed this as a child. Besides, "Topanga Lawrence" was a way cooler name.

The weird thing is I learned more about life from watching one episode of "Boy Meets World" than from watching an entire season of "90210." From that show, I just learned that I shouldn't have sex with homeless-looking guys. Nineties teen sitcoms taught me about friendship, family and being a good person to everyone around you.

People can argue that even though we enjoyed these shows as children, we wouldn't enjoy them now, as young adults. I just don't see it that way. I still laugh my ass off whenever I watch an old "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" or "BMW" episode.

Still aching to watch these old sitcoms? Never fear! ABC Family, TBS and MTV2 usually air episodes of "BMW," "Fresh Prince" and "Saved by the Bell" early in the morning (and I was able to find some on YouTube!) And in case you're really in need of some childhood fantasy, here's how you can make your own ’90s teen sitcom opener.

Maybe one day there will be a "BMW" reunion. Let us pray.

Posts in Gator Golf appear on Tuesdays.

Self-explanatory.