'Project Runway’s' Mondo Guerra shows America (again) that he’s 'in'

<p>The pint-sized designer lost in Season 8 of the original series to Gretchen Jones.</p>

The pint-sized designer lost in Season 8 of the original series to Gretchen Jones.

Recent winner of the Lifetime hit show “Project Runway All Stars,” Mondo Guerra is finally getting the recognition he deserves. The pint-sized designer lost in Season 8 of the original series, to Gretchen Jones, the villain of the series.

As some of you know, this spin-off series took the best of the designers (who didn’t win, of course) from each season and set them against each other to be stressed, worked and judged all over again.

But this time it was special — at least for Mondo. The Runway series was a journey full of ups and downs for the designer as he showcased his quirky (now memorable) designs to America while coming out with HIV.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image courtesy of Sew News

All Stars was no less different. While he proved he’s not a one-trick pony, he went through moments of self-loathing that made those around him anxious. However, in true artist mode, he used that frustration to create some of the most innovative designs on the show ever. And this time he took home the win.

Mondo is known for his designs that experiment with different fabric patterns and textures in the same piece — a technique that many designers are scared to venture into. His title as a fabric-mixing aficionado was sealed after his recent design for the Nanette Lepore challenge. His multi-tiered dress of different prints was chaotically enchanting, as Lepore and the other judges picked it for the win.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of Reality Tea

But lets talk about his collection for the “All Stars” final challenge. The bold prints were youthful, fresh and daring. Whoever wears his collections definitely wants to be noticed! In addition to the unique print choices, the construction of the pieces was pretty clean. I really loved the consistency of the collection; you can see the same woman wearing all of these outfits.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

With his new prize money, he told Marie Claire magazine that he wants to go back to his roots on the trade show circuit because it allows him to interact with buyers and hear what their customers want.

One of the other perks to wining was having the position as guest editor at the magazine for a year. Maybe we can expect some interesting columns, collaborations and good stuff from Mondo. And interestingly, he said in the interview for the magazine, “I'm excited to hang out with Joanna. And Nina [Garcia]. We might be able to clear the air about Season 8. I look forward to telling it like it is."

Oh, man, sounds good already! In case some of you have forgotten, in Season 8 Nina slammed his circle motif dress that Heidi, on the other hand, loved.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Photo courtesy of The Celebrity Cafe

He clearly gets fashion and sees things that other designers miss. Mondo is one of the most envelope-pushing designers to emerge from the series (in addition to Christian Siriano, who is absolutely fabulous!) His win was definitely sealed when the judges realized that he is not short of ideas — a trait highly coveted in the world of fashion.

He has the designing chops to create a brand or fashion house. In time, America will see him setting trends and creating what women really want when he begins to showcase collections at venues like New York Fashion Week.

Posts in If the Choo Fits appear on Mondays. Follow @Nata1ia_S on Twitter.