'Hugo' and 'The Artist' shine at the Oscars (Winner's list included!)

The much-anticipated event has come and gone. Another year of cinematic genius has been judged and praised according to the standards of the Academy.

There always seems to be one or two films that take home a majority of the awards. This year’s favorites were “Hugo” and “The Artist," with both films garnering five awards. It is almost exhausting for the public to see the same film win in multiple categories, but quality work deserves a reward.

Some of the most heartwarming moments of the night were found in the acceptance speeches. When Asghar Farhadi won best foreign language film for “A Separation,” he became the first Iranian to have won an Academy Award. He made a beautiful acceptance speech that briefly reflected on the current conflict between the U.S. and his native country, showing appreciation for the honor despite any political hostility.

As expected, Meryl Streep won her third Academy Award for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady.” She accepted the award with grace and humility, acknowledging the public’s potential collective groan at her winning yet another award. She expressed no resentment at this and simply exuded gratitude. Every award, no matter if it’s her first or sixth, clearly means something special to her. I would not expect anything less form possibly the greatest actress of all time. Part of me hoped that Viola Davis would swoop in for a victory, but Streep is too tough of a contender.

Christopher Plummer won his first Oscar at the age of 82 for actor in a supporting role for “Beginners.” My favorite part of his speech was when he turned to his award and said, “You’re only two years older than me, darling … where have you been all my life?”

I enjoyed watching a magical night of film appreciation. Despite the predictability and familiarity of the event, the Academy Awards are always a pleasure to watch. The only question left to ask if whether Ryan Seacrest will get the ashes that Sacha Baron Cohen spilled on him out of his suit?

Winners:

Best Picture: “The Artist”

Actor in a Leading Role: Jean Dujardin in “The Artist”

Actress in a Leading Role: Meryl Streep in “The Iron Lady”

Actor in a Supporting Role: Christopher Plummer in “Beginners”

Actress in a Supporting Role: Octavia Spencer in “The Help”

Animated Film: “Rango”

Cinematography: “Hugo”

Art Direction: “Hugo”

Costume Design: “The Artist”

Directing: “The Artist”

Documentary Feature: “Undefeated”

Documentary Short: “Saving Face”

Film Editing: “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”

Foreign Language: “A Separation”

Makeup: “The Iron Lady”

Music (Original Score): “The Artist”

Music (Original Song): “Man or Muppet” from “The Muppets”

Short Animated Film: “The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore”

Short Live Action Film: “The Shore”

Sound Editing: “Hugo”

Sound Mixing: “Hugo”

Visual Effects: “Hugo”

Adapted Screenplay: “The Descendants”

Original Screenplay: “Midnight in Paris”

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Tuesdays. Follow @SwampCinema on Twitter.