LSU away game roadtrip: New Orleans or Baton Rouge

This weekend is a huge game for the Florida Gators. After being defeated by Alabama, we have the chance to redeem ourselves when we play the No.1 Louisiana State University Tigers.

Since LSU is in Baton Rouge, some might forgo the game and trek to New Orleans for the weekend instead. It is about an hour-and-a-half drive between the two cities, according to Google maps.

From Gainesville to Baton Rouge is about nine and a half hours. To New Orleans, it is an hour less.

If you have tickets for the game, or a plan already set, go cheer on the Gators. But if you decide that the game isn't for you, why not stop an hour early in New Orleans for a fun trip?

Check out these events going on in New Orleans this weekend.

You can take a stroll down Bourbon Street or stop at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop. Lafitte's, located in a Creole cottage on the corner of Bourbon and St. Philip streets, is a bar and restaurant filled with the mysteries of old New Orleans. The building is said to be where the Lafitte brothers opened their blacksmith shop as a façade while they carried out their privateer efforts.

Or you can visit the Old Absinthe House, which was formerly a family-owned importing firm. It became a saloon where mixologist Cayetano Ferrer created the Absinthe House Frappe, which is now an illegal substance. However, you can go there and celebrate with some drinks, although it is now substituted with Herbsaint.

These are just one of the many bars and restaurants located on this infamous street.

Here is a lot more information on the French Quarter. In the French Quarter you can go to Verti Marte, Deja Vu or the Quartermaster Deli. All are open 24/7 in the heart of the French Quarter.

Have fun this weekend whatever you decide to do. And remember: Go Gators no matter where you are!

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Wednesdays.