<p>While they are still flying in United Colors</p>

While they are still flying in United Colors

If you plan on traveling internationally in the near future, you might have a chance at Wi-Fi on your flight.

Wireless Internet isn't new to domestic flights on AirTran, Alaska, American, Delta and Virgin America airlines; however, the system they use, Gogo, transmits signals from the ground, and unless they install these systems in the water, their use is limited to continental travel.

Gogo is used in 6,000 aircrafts. However, Aircell, the company that deploys Gogo, announced in March its plans for satellite Internet, which wouldn't be available until 2015.

To combat this problem, United Airlines is installing satellite-based Internet, according to a CNN article.

But, United is a little ways off from having it installed in its first aircraft. In addition, Southwest Airlines has been installing a satellite-based Internet for some time, but there has been some trouble with it.

Considerations include: "the amount of weight added to the aircraft from the antenna, the cost and the amount of time it takes to do an install (longer than the overnight required by Gogo)," according to the CNN article.

United has yet to say how much this will cost travelers.

Do you think United's will be out before Aircell's planned 2015 satellite-based Internet?

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Wednesdays.