Maruchan ramen
Maruchan ramen

We all know what the food pyramid is supposed to look like. You got your six to 11 servings of bread, cereal, rice and pasta at the bottom, then 3 to 5 servings of veggies, 2 to 4 servings of fruits, 2 to 3 servings of meat, poultry, fish, and beans, then 2 to 3 of milk, yogurt and cheese, and at the top of the pyramid are your oils, fats and sweets and that you are to “use sparingly.”

However, a college kids food pyramid looks a bit different.

A college’s kid’s bread and pasta group consists of a few packs of Rice-A-Roni, Chef Boyardi and lots and lots of ramen. You can’t forget the ramen.

Veggies, besides maybe the lettuce on a McDonald’s burger, is pretty much just pizza … Since pizza is a vegetable, right? Well, there’s tomato sauce, which just what a tomato used to be (and tomatoes are veggies, right? Or are they fruit...?)

When it comes to fruit, a college kid will generally seek nourishment through a smoothie. They feel a pseudo gratification by their choice of healthy, “vitamin packed” nutrition. Nothing says healthy like a peanut butter, extra chocolate supreme smoothie. Oh, with a few bananas or something.

The meat and beans category is just Chipotle. Let’s be real.

Milk and cheese consists of a good old-fashioned milkshake and a side of cheese fries. That’ll hit the spot, for sure.

And last but not least, treat yourself every once and while with a few sweets, but don’t get too crazy — you’re trying to be healthy here. Have some self control!