“Plan early, plan often,” is what Coordinator of Academic Programs at the Office for Undergraduate Affairs for the College of Journalism and Communications, Judy Hunter, said. Ten to 20 minutes spent reviewing the schedule of courses, critical tracking requirements, and semester plans on the University of Florida website is time well spent when planning courses for the spring semester.

“The two keys are clearing holds and reviewing the degree audit,” Hunter explained to me when I asked her what advice she would give to students registering for classes. The first piece is pretty self-explanatory. All the planning in the world will do you no favors if you have an academic or financial hold preventing you from registering. The degree audits as well as the semester plans for each major in the Undergraduate Catalog on the University of Florida website are handy guides for determining what classes you need to take. You should check these resources and do your research before even speaking with an advisor. According to Hunter, doing so fosters an effective and engaging dialogue because it provides the advisor and the advisee a starting point for the conversation. If there is a discrepancy in your degree audit or if you have a question, be sure to mention it during your advising appointment.

Hunter’s second tidbit of advice was to construct a “trial schedule.” You can do so by logging into ISIS and selecting “Schedule of Courses” under the “My Resources Menu” on the right-hand side of the screen. This will direct you to the UF Registrar’s website. Click on “Course Listings” under the “Spring 2013” column. In the new window that pops up, choose the department of the class you are searching for from the list in the dropdown box. Once you find your class, you can view meeting days, times, and instructors. From there, grab a planner and begin piecing together your schedule. Then when you visit your advisor, show them your plan so he or she can either approve it or edit it. This will spare both you and your advisor time and frustration.

While interviewing Hunter, I stumbled upon a useful tip for anyone required to take economics for their major. Economic professors have indicated that students who take economic classes sooner in college rather than later tend to do better in class because many mathematical principles from high school are still fresh in their student’s minds. I assume taking a math class a semester before you take economics would have the same effect.

From my own experience, my advice would be to check your email for advising opportunities. If you have visited the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center at Farrior Hall, you know how hellishly crowded the lobby is with students bearing expressions of irritation and exhaustion from waiting countless hours to speak to their advisor. Fortunately earlier this week I received an email informing me academic advisors would be available to my residential hall in our common room. I waited no more than fifteen minutes and had my classes picked out in less than ten.

If all else fails, don’t let a bad schedule bring you down. At the end of the day, you have the most control over how well you do in your courses. Keep calm and happy registering day.