Tuesday, March 19, 2024
Nas
Nas

With independent music becoming more and more prominent, veterans of the business have been taking notice. In May of 2014, legendary rapper Nas launched Mass Appeal Records as a label for up-and-coming emcees to make a name for themselves. The label has signed Bishop Nehru, Fashawn, Run the Jewels and Boldy James. Mass Appeal Records will also release new material from Nas himself and deceased rapper Pimp C.

While the label gears up for its first compilation album, each artist has been releasing their own solo efforts. Bishop Nehru recently released his collaborative album, Nehruviandoom, with underground rap legend MF Doom. Run the Jewels released their second self-titled album under Mass Appeal and Fashawn recently released his sophomore LP, The Ecology, under the label.

The label’s recent focus has been on Boldy James. Boldy James is a rapper from Detroit who is known for his work with Alchemist. His debut album, My 1st Chemistry Set, was met with critical acclaim from various hip-hop sites. James released his third mixtape, Trappers Alley 2, and has been doing promoting for it since. This mixtape has a wide range of producers from 808 Mafia to Black Milk and the features are just as diverse. Boldy James recently released the video to On My Teather on Worldstarhiphop.com and it has been generating thousands of views.

2015 is looking like a big year for Mass Appeal Records. With Nas leading a group of talented emcees the possibilities for this label are endless.

Description: Label of lyricists, Old-school hip-hop

Recommended Projects: Nehruviandoom, Run the Jewels 2

Newest Material: Trappers Alley 2/On My Teather