UF Supreme Court asserts jurisdiction over SG elections

The UF Supreme Court released its final opinion on Sunday regarding the Student Government Senate elections.

Members of the Students Party had petitioned the Court to order a redo of the Sept. 27 and Sept. 28 elections, and the Court ordered an investigation into the procedures. The Court justices decided not to order a re-vote.

The Court's opinion addressed procedures, the specific case and abilities of the Court.

Students Party Communications Director Carly Wilson said that while the party didn't like the Court's final decision, they appreciated the thoroughness and "that the Supreme Court is actually acting as an equal branch of government."

Part of the defense used by Senate Allocations Committee Chairman Joe Pardo centered on Senate's right to "be the sole judge of the validity of the elections results," according to Article III, Section 6e of the UF Constitution.

The justices affirmed their right to order elections investigations because of the Court's duty to protect student liberties from infringement by SG.

The justices, led by Chief Justice Matt Michel, also outline future procedures for determining election fairness.

Pardo said he thought the Court's opinion was on point.

"I'm confident it will act as a catalyst for proper change in election procedure, including a more fluid process for elections grievances to be addressed," he said.

Follow @clarelennon on Twitter.