Senate elections kick off with voting at 11 on-campus locations

Fliers, meetings, Facebook statuses and banners have led up to this critical time: Student Government elections.

Undergraduate and graduate students can vote from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Wednesday.

Students will vote to fill 50 Senate seats from candidates from the Unite Party, candidates from the Students Party and independent candidates.

In fall elections, students vote for candidates to represent the areas where they live.

This year, SG is trying out a new "secure location electronic voting" system. Students will be able to vote on a computer at any of the on-campus voting locations.

Student Senate President Micah Lewis said SG switched to "make voting more secure and accessible for students." Lewis proposed the new voting system during the summer.

In past elections, students filled out paper ballots.

To vote, students must have their photo IDs and UFID numbers.

Students will not be able to vote from personal computers or from home.

The number of polling locations recently increased from 10 to 11 separate locations.

Students can vote at the Broward Hall basement, the Murphree Common Area, Springs Hall's room C201, the Jennings Hall first-floor library, the Southwest Recreation Center's lounge, the Reitz Union Computer Lab, the law school's common area near its lounge, the CSE Computer Lab, Marston Science Library, McCarty Hall's Computer Lab B and the JHMHSC Library Collaboration Center.

For a complete list of candidates, visit the SG elections page.