War; Bloodshed; Nuclear weapons; Bombs; Regime; Terrorist; Army, and death. With ongoing conflict in the Middle East, such words have become very familiar to the American people.

Syria, neighboring country to Iraq, Turkey, Israel and Jordan, is currently enduring immeasurable turmoil. Many Americans are unsure of the events happening in Syria but are even more uncertain as to why the United States has any involvement.

A little more than three weeks ago, U.S. President Barack Obama was given the “OK” from Congress to engage in limited U.S. strikes on Syria. Such strikes would be used against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for releasing chemical weapons on his people, ultimately injuring and killing hundreds as well as forcing millions to flee their home country.

Though the United States has opted to hold back its military force, and have since decided to discuss the arising issue in Syria with Russian President Vladimir Putin as well as Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, it is still vastly important that we make sense of this issue. Declaring war against Syria could very well cause a World War, which would greatly affect each and every one of us.

Current Syrian President Bashar al-Assad took reign in June 2000, after his father passed away. Since then Assad has exercised his power, causing many problems in Syria.

More specifically, in December 2012 the U.S. joined France, Britain, Turkey and Gulf states in “recognizing Syria’s oppositional National Coalition” as the ‘legitimate representative’ of the Syrian people.”

In January 2013, Syria says that Israeli jets allegedly attacked a military research center near Damascus.

In March 2013, the U.S. as well as Britain agreed to send non-military aid to rebels, while Britain and France said they would lift the European Union arms embargo. Furthermore, the Rebel National Coalition elected Ghassan Hitto as interim prime minister.

Tension begins to heat up even more in April 2013 after the U.S. and Britain demanded an investigation into reports that the Syrian government forces had been using chemical weapons.

In May 2013, Israel and Syria exchange fire in the Golan Heights.

In August 2013, Syrian rebels and Western governments accuse pro al-Assad members of using chemical weapons on its people. More than 300 people were killed near Damascus. The Syrian government did not accept responsibility, but instead blamed the rebels.

In September 2013, the UN weapons inspector found that chemical weapons were in fact used on the area attacked near Damascus in August. However, they did not allocate the responsibility of the attack to any one particular group of people.

After the use of chemical weapons was confirmed in Syria, United States President Barack Obama turned to Congress asking them for limited military force in Syria. Congress passed the use of limited strikes in Syria.

However, President Obama has held off and instead turned his efforts towards speaking with Russian and Iranian Presidents.

Syrian President Assad said that Syria has accepted a plan, which was constructed by Russia and the US, to put his country’s use of chemical weapons under international control. However, that could take some time.

On Sept. 30 Iranian Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived at the White House to discuss Iran’s nuclear program, peace negotiations with the Palestinians as well as Syria’s ongoing civil war.