• November 26, 2014

Jeans for your body type

Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:58 pm | Updated: 1:59 pm, Tue Aug 6, 2013.

There is no other feeling in the world like finding the perfect pair of jeans. Jeans are the ultimate stable piece of any woman’s closet and can be worn with just about anything. With the hundreds of brands, cuts and colors it can seem a little overwhelming at first when trying to shop for a new pair. Here are a few tips to remember during your next shopping trip when trying to find the most flattering pair of jeans for your body type.  

Tall

If you’re tall you want to look for brands that carry long inseams to accommodate your height and avoid that high-water look. With your height you can easily rock a pair of skinnies that can make your legs look even longer and lean. These types of jeans allow you to wear your favorite pair of flats or even high heels. If you want to switch it up you can even go for a retro look with jeans that flare at the bottom for a trendy and flattering look. Look for little details on the jeans such as whiskers to give a little width to a skinny figure.

Petite

The key to finding the perfect pair of jeans for those lovely ladies 5’4” and under is length. If your jeans are too long you can begin to look a little frumpy and if they’re too short then you’ll also be suffering from high water jean syndrome. Sometimes you can find shorter inseam options online from your favorite brand of jeans if they’re not currently available in stores. Look for jeans with a higher waist in order to give the illusion of longer legs. You can try on a pair of cute boot-cut jeans to give a little flare at the bottom, which will give balance and even proportions. Black jeans are also your best friends since they don’t have lines and can make your legs look longer.

Curvy

As a curvy girl, you want to look for jeans that have some stretch to them so they can hug your curves instead of constricting them. Straight-legged jeans are the way to go since the cut just skims the legs and will help to slim down the thighs and calves. Another option for you is the trouser jean. High-waited trouser jeans can shows off the smallest part of your body while helping to fake mile-long legs and give an over all polished look. Choose dark washes opposed to lighter ones, which will instantly slim your legs.

Athletic

Look for a mid-rise jean with a slight flare at the bottom to help create a curvier silhouette. You can also fake a shapely figure with a pair of boyfriend jeans. They add volume while also creating softer curves to your bottom half. High waists will nip you at the smallest part of your body to also give the illusion of an hourglass shape, though you can just as equally pull off the low-rise style. Another tip to consider is having some type of detailing on the back pockets of your jeans as another way to bring some curves to your athletic shape.

• ARTICLE: 11 trends that should have stayed dead
  • Welcome to the discussion.

The Lineup

Contact Blogs Editor Cara Chiaramonte at cchiaramonte@alligator.org.

Monday

• Freshmen Ask, Seniors Answer: The Baby Gators' guide to their first year as a part of the Gator Nation. Submit questions at: bit.ly/1wplkli.
    • For Your Entertainment: Your source for all things entertainment three days a week, from music, film and television reviews to how to survive music festivals.
    • The Professional Gator: Advice on how to make it in the real world as a young professional.

Tuesday

• Gainesvillista: The latest in fashion for men and women, combined with beauty tips for looking your best.
    • When Life Gives You Lemons: Tips to guide you through the ups and downs in the journey of life. 

Wednesday

• Now That's Justice: A unique take on social issues of every kind — from women's rights to racial issues to LGBT affairs.

Thursday

• Swamp of Love: A look at relationships and dating in Gainesville and advice on how to deal.

Friday

• The Chomp: Restaurant reviews, food news and features written by the hungry blogger for the ravenous reader.
    • UFitness: The latest in fitness and wellness trends from tips on how to get through that detox to the newest fitness craze.