• December 20, 2014

Fashion brands that love to give back

Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:10 pm | Updated: 10:16 pm, Thu May 30, 2013.

In an industry where what you look like is of the most importance it’s easy to see why fashion gets a bad rap sometimes. A perfect example of this happened recently when Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries started a new wave controversy with his comments about the company’s policy to exclude larger sizes.

Despite this, there are still fashion brands out there that like to look beyond overly priced clothes to help others around the world. Meet these fashion companies that work to do good for others through their stylish clothing and accessories, because giving back is always “in.”

Feel More Better

Fell More Better’s mission is to “make the world an easier place for women and girls to be happyer (yes, that’s how they spell it), and to help women and girls get past whatever’s hating on their happy.” The site sells T-shirts made of an eco-friendly material that convey powerful and positive messages. My favorites had to be Not Photoshopped and Suck it, Barbie. The awesome thing is that for every tee you buy they donate a new book to an underprivileged girl. Feel More Better has also made a positive impact by petitioning for the Media and Public Health Act, which would require advertisers to use a special label to indicate they have altered the human body through digital means on their ads.

Lemlem

The word Lemlem means to flourish or to bloom in Amharic, which is exactly what the fashion brand started by supermodel Liya Kebede is doing. The brand sells a variety of women and kids clothing along with items for the home. Kebede started Lemlem back in 2007 to preserve the art of weaving in her native country and provide jobs to inspire economic independence in Ethiopia.

Philathropy Fashion

This locally owned and operated business in Franklin, Tennessee, also started in 2007 to allow its customers to make a difference. The store sells fashion forward accessories such as scarves, bags and jewelry that are one-of-a-kind. They pledge at least 10 percent of their total sales to donate to their local community in Tennessee as well as organizations in Uganda, Southern Sudan and Haiti.

Threads for Thought

A company founded in 2006 that started out by selling graphic tees has now become a complete lifestyle brand. Threads For Thought aims to create quality and sustainable apparel for men and women. They work with factories that respect their employees and treat them humanely and fairly while also partnering and giving back to nonprofit organizations, according to their website. It also has partnerships with the IRC (International Rescue Committee) and NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council), two highly effective charities.

2 comments:

• Stylebecause posted at 7:58 pm on Tue, Jun 18, 2013.

Stylebecause Posts: 1

Great list! We sell products that give back, we also give back a portion of all our sales, and we're a local FL business (triple whammy). Check us out at http://stylebecause.com

• Cerise posted at 11:46 am on Sat, Jun 1, 2013.

Cerise Posts: 2

Most of the people who is having the extra ordinary bodies i will suggest him the custom dress shirts as i love to wear because my size is not available in the market that why i go to the custom shirts and place the order with Cerise Shirts www.customdressshirts.us

The Lineup

Contact Blogs Editor Cara Chiaramonte at [email protected].

Monday

• Freshmen Ask, Seniors Answer: The Baby Gators' guide to their first year as a part of the Gator Nation. Submit questions at: bit.ly/1wplkli.
  • For Your Entertainment: Your source for all things entertainment three days a week, from music, film and television reviews to how to survive music festivals.
  • The Professional Gator: Advice on how to make it in the real world as a young professional.

Tuesday

• Gainesvillista: The latest in fashion for men and women, combined with beauty tips for looking your best.
  • When Life Gives You Lemons: Tips to guide you through the ups and downs in the journey of life. 

Wednesday

• Now That's Justice: A unique take on social issues of every kind — from women's rights to racial issues to LGBT affairs.

Thursday

• Swamp of Love: A look at relationships and dating in Gainesville and advice on how to deal.

Friday

• The Chomp: Restaurant reviews, food news and features written by the hungry blogger for the ravenous reader.
  • UFitness: The latest in fitness and wellness trends from tips on how to get through that detox to the newest fitness craze.