Have you ever looked around at the people of the airport and seen the mass of people that are wearing yoga pants and running shoes? The addiction to comfortable travel wear is real. 

Normally, when I arrive at the airport I dress slightly better than my college finals week outfits of yoga pants and bro tanks and I don some of my classier Pilates class essentials. My best leggings and my comfortable, yet fashionable oversized sweater paired with the chic, but tattered Toms become my go to travel outfit. This outfit works for long airplane rides and road trips alike.

After reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about the old days of high fashion as you “Jet Set” and the new days of Pilates pants and stained shirts at the airport, it really got me thinking about the importance of appearance when you travel.

As we all know packing a suitcase can be one hell of ride. We either can’t get everything we want, so we end up with 60 pounds of clothes in a bigger suitcase, only to wear two of the outfits or you pack so little you forget your essentials. What a nightmare and I think that in order to eliminate these speed bumps in our most well laid out vacations we need to be more mindful when we decide what to pack and what to wear. Once we do that we can even out our packing weight so we don’t have to spend extra money at the airport, we can be treated with more respect in the security line and foreign cafes, and we can all look a little bit more put together. The only downside to being mindful of fashion choices while traveling is the extra thinking time, something most people are too lazy to even begin.

One of my biggest travel fashion tips is this: if you would be embarrassed about your outfit at the airport if you run into your boss, ex boyfriend or old college buddy then you are wearing the wrong thing. I don’t mean to say that you should retire your stretchy pants, but spruce up the outfit with some clunky jewelry or wear some statement boots.

This works for both men and women. Even throwing on that tattered retro tee could be a bigger statement than your stained gym shorts. I’m sorry guys, but if you are wearing some dirty basketball shorts and your snapback hat, you look like every other guy we have ever had a class with in college. Nothing special and you just may have missed out on the best airport hook up of your life. Why take the risk? Dress to impress, but not to the point of being uncomfortable when you are 40,000 feet in the air.

When traveling and looking fresh to death you may find yourself with upgrades on your flight that you never would’ve imagined; maybe an invite into the executive club or an invitation to join someone in first class, on them. Who knows, but I honestly think that you will notice a modicum of respect that grows when you look good and feel good.

My suggestion is to think of the act of traveling as an adventure in itself. You don’t simply just arrive at your destination you have to take part in the journey. So why not dress for the part as well? Next time you are headed to the airport to take that 5:30 am flight remember that you don’t usually wear your pajamas in public, so maybe you shouldn’t today either. Throw on your favorite tee, your red beanie and your dark jeans, you will be comfortable while you are lugging yourself and your luggage to the farthest terminal in the airport, but you won’t look like a man or woman who has slept in their clothes for days.

Safe travels and happy summer!