It’s that time of the year again.

You’re far enough into the semester to have realized that your rooming decisions have either been miraculous or disastrous.

It’s likely they have been disastrous; it’s likely you’ve pinned the blame on someone; and it’s likely that someone is your roommate.

Well, I’ve got great news for you. (No, your roommate isn’t migrating to another country for the winter.) You will make it through this semester, and so will your roommate. In fact, by the end of this semester, you two may be friends. So follow my lead, write this down, print it out or post it onto your refrigerator because I’m about to teach you how to be a great roommate.

• Set boundaries. As soon as your roommate and you have moved into your rooms, have a home meeting and set ground rules. Be clear, direct and definitive. If there is a condition you absolutely cannot live under, let your roommate know. If there is a condition your roommate absolutely cannot live under, listen, and do your best to comply.

• Clean up after yourself. You are an adult now. You are a full-time student and, odds are, so is your roommate. This doesn’t mean you won’t have time to make a mess. Have the decency to pick your mess up once you’re finished. This will save your roommate the stress of walking around the house like he lives on a landmine, and it’ll save you time later.

• Replenish what’s out of stock. Your roommate and you likely share paper towels and dish soap. Take turns refilling them. You can keep track of whose turn it is by marking the soap dispenser and paper towel rack with your initials if you purchased it last.

• Be considerate of study habits. Everyone’s got that one class that takes up more of his time than his sleep does. Remember that your class schedules might not be in-sync. Let each other know if you need a few days of silence to study, and decide whether you’ll be studying at home or at the library. Consider taking turns studying at home so that you don’t trap each other in the misery of a silent home.

• Communicate. There will be issues. You will disagree. You don’t need to type, proofread and laminate a passive-aggressive letter to your roommate addressing his disconcerting habits. Talk it out. Address issues when they’re small. If you miss that opportunity, address the issues when they’re big. No matter the size of the issue, if it’s important to either one of you, address it. And be willing to compromise. Whether you’re best friends or complete strangers, you are going to disagree at some point. Realize, right now, that your lifestyle is unique, and you are going to need to make a middle ground, find it and stick to it.

Halloween is weeks away, and, as scary as the holiday may be, there is nothing quite as frightening as discomfort.

Don’t be your roommate’s nightmare. Acknowledge, respect and make an effort to understand each other. Contrary to popular belief, neither of you is perfect.

Remember that the next you’re thinking of stacking your roommate’s dishes on his bed.