Gainesvillista: Making leggings fashionable

Let’s face it. No matter how hard we try, sometimes our workloads just max us out. We stay up late studying, and the next day still comes just as bright and just as early. Cue the leggings.

leggings

In the morning, when we're all exhausted and barely awake, leggings and an oversized T-shirt are the easiest things to slip on. Unfortunately, the whole leggings and oversized T-shirt concept is not exactly looked at as the most fashionable look.

But I'm here to tell you there are many easy, comfortable things you can pair with leggings to make your look a little more put together (and way more fashionable) than the whole “pajama look” thing everybody else has going on.

When I wear leggings, it is usually because I cannot be bothered to put on a real pair of pants. My favorite leggings are from Old Navy's athletic line. Soft and enough to cover everything, they still have a simple, compressing cotton look.

Rule No. 1 for leggings: make sure they are not see-through. I especially love leggings that have leather panels on the sides. Even though I am a culprit of throwing on a sweatshirt with my leggings, there are some things I usually try to do when I am styling an outfit with them: 

First, I pair them with a longer style top or tunic, as to cover my backside. As you can see in the picture I layered my long, printed kimono with a loose button-up top. Once I added metallic loafers, wine-colored lipstick and a '20s-era inspired necklace, the look was stylish and comfortable.

My advice is to wear a longer patterned sweater or top with leggings, add a killer pair of shoes that others will instantly see when you walk in a room and put on your favorite lipstick color to complement your own look. 

Next time you are on campus, seriously try and count how many people are in a T-shirt and leggings. Also, remember riding boots and booties especially make leggings look stylish in the fall.