The Whole You: Women and lifting- 7 reasons to not fear the weight room

<p>"<span id="yui_3_11_0_3_1404274603528_998" class="character-name-holder"><a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/binkwilder/12784215275/" target="_blank">800_6373</a>" by <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/binkwilder/" target="_blank">Brandon Binkwilder Santana</a>, used under <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/" target="_blank">CC BY-NC-ND 2.0</a></span></p>

"800_6373" by Brandon Binkwilder Santana, used under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

I can’t speak for all gyms (although it always happens in the few that I’ve seen), but there always seems to be some sort of invisible divide between the cardio and weight areas. We still live in a world where girls dominate the elliptical, while guys master the bar. Of course, I’m not saying that women should be the next body builders -- even though there already are plenty of successful ladies out there -- but having a little knowledge on how to lift wouldn’t kill anyone. 

Here are 7 reasons why girls should be in (dominate) the weight room. 

It targets those problem areas

Unfortunately, those extra love handles aren’t going to sweat themselves right off if you stick to the typical 30-minute cardio session. According to Woman’s Healthyou actually lose 40 percent more fat while weight training than if you just stick to cardio alone, which leads to more efficient workouts with faster results.

No one is judging you

There seems to be this misperception that all eyes are on you as soon as you start lifting, but the reality is that no one really cares. I was fully guilty of this and was absolutely terrified of the weight room when I first tried it out. I was scared about the judgments people would pass on my bad form or wimpy weight capacity, but everyone is just in their own zones, as you should be. 

Woman-power

So this may be a teensy bit on the feminist side, but there is total satisfaction in being able to lift up a heavy package up three flights of stairs without the help of a guy. Lift to be independent! Or to at least to open that cement-sealed jar.

You won’t gain weight

You will not bulk up. I repeat, you will NOT bulk up. Unless you’re on supplements, committing yourself to two-a-days, and redefining your diet to certain fat and/or sugar restrictions for the rest of your life, your weight will not outrageously increase from your new guns. Lift without fear and refer to reason one.

You get to eat whatever you want… kind of

According to Active.com, as you lose muscle mass your metabolism also goes down with it. Weight training gives your metabolism a boost that lasts long after you leave the gym, so treat yourself to that post-workout cake without the guilt.

It keeps your workouts fresh

I always like a good run, but I feel little hamster-esque consistently moving in one place. Weight training brings a new workout, every workout. You get to challenge a new part of your body every day and keep things from getting into a boring, repetitive routine.

Health benefits  

There are plenty of research studies that show how great lifting weights can be. According to Livestrong.com, it can help you build stronger bones, decrease the risk of memory loss, and reduce your risk of diabetes.

These are only a few of the many awesome perks lifting weights can do for you.