Junior forward Casey Prather to miss opener following second concussion

<p align="justify">Coach Billy Donovan signals to his team during Florida’s 101-71 exhibition win against Nebraska-Kearney on Nov. 1 in the O’Connell Center.</p>

Coach Billy Donovan signals to his team during Florida’s 101-71 exhibition win against Nebraska-Kearney on Nov. 1 in the O’Connell Center.

After a concussion knocked Casey Prather out of UF’s scrimmage against Rollins on Oct. 27, he suffered another concussion on Monday.

The junior forward’s second head injury in nine days occurred when Patric Young elbowed him during a rebound attempt in practice.

"It was just a normal play," Young said. "I just jumped for the ball, and I guess I hit him."

Prather will miss No. 10 Florida’s season opener against Georgetown on Friday in the Navy-Marine Corps Classic in Jacksonville, coach Billy Donovan said.

Donovan added that Prather’s second concussion is not believed to be as severe as his first.

"He has to go through a series of baseline tests," Donovan said. "I felt like with Casey’s (first) injury, I knew he was going to be back for this game."

In 2011-12, Prather averaged two points and 1.8 rebounds per contest. He averaged only 9.5 minutes in 28 games last season but is expected to have an increased role this year once healthy.

Prather missed UF’s exhibition against Nebraska-Kearney on Thursday before doctors cleared him to rejoin the team in practice on Monday.

Freshman Michael Frazier II flourished on the wing while redshirt senior Mike Rosario struggled in Prather’s absence.

Frazier scored a team-high 21 points on 8-for-10 shooting after coming off the bench.

As the starting small forward, Rosario recorded four turnovers against four points, going 0 for 3 from beyond the arc.

With Rosario and Frazier as its primary options at small forward, Florida will have to play small at times against a long and athletic Georgetown frontcourt. Four of the Hoyas’ projected starters are at least 6 feet 8 inches tall.

Donovan has also entertained the possibility of playing Will Yeguete, Erik Murphy and Young together. Donovan said he is worried about how such a lineup would function offensively.

"We have to look at that now just because of Casey’s situation," Donovan said. "We have not done that a lot."