Sig Ep fraternity chapter closed

UF’s chapter of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity — often called “Sig Ep” — has been closed.

The fraternity’s national board of directors withdrew the charter of the Florida Alpha chapter, according to a statement from executive director Brian C. Warren Jr.

“The University of Florida is investigating the chapter for numerous violations of the University’s code of conduct,” Warren’s statement read.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said the chapter’s closing was not the result of a single incident. There are multiple charges pending, she said, including hazing.

Sikes provided a statement that declared the university’s support of the board’s decision.

“We understand it was a difficult one to make and look forward to the fraternity returning at some point in the future,” UF’s statement read.

The fraternity’s mission centers around building balanced men. According to Warren’s statement, members are expected to act in following with values like respect for self and others.

“When the cultural issues within a chapter conflict with our values and are too deeply rooted to effect change, we have no other option but to withdraw the chapter’s charter,” Warren’s statement read.

The chapter is closed indefinitely, according to UF’s statement. Administrators, officials and alumni will determine when it is appropriate for the chapter to return to UF.

“SigEp has a long history on our campus and produced many student leaders,” UF’s statement read. “For now, we are providing assistance to members needing housing or wanting to pursue membership in other organizations.”

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.