UF ranked 49th in the world for producing millionaires

A four-digit tuition bill at UF could pay off with a seven-digit salary.

UF ranked 49th worldwide for producing the most millionaires, according to research compiled by UK business magazine Spear’s and data research company WealthInsight.

To compile the list, researchers went through a database of 700,000 millionaires in 200 countries.

The U.S. dominated the rankings with 63 universities out of the top 100 universities in the world with millionaire alumni.

World's top ten universities for producing millionaires

UF Career Resource Center Director Heather White said UF’s academics as well as students’ skills used beyond the classroom contribute to students’ future success.

“The academics speak for itself at the University of Florida,” White said. “First, it’s so competitive to get in, and once they’re here they receive a very strong education. It’s a great foundation launching them into their careers.”

The survey also ranked the most prosperous degrees, with engineering, master’s in business administration and law in the top three spots, respectively.

Lizi Lopez, director of recruitment and emerging leader development for entrepreneurial program UF Enactus said the surprisingly high ranking could be due to UF’s status as the top academic school in Florida and high tuition value.

“It definitely goes to show the value that we get from our education and how well we’ve been set up through our colleges to be successful in the future,” the 21-year-old UF marketing and psychology senior said. “I’ve probably never seen such an impressive fact about UF.”

A version of this story ran on page 9 on 11/8/2013 under the headline "UF ranked 49th in the world for producing millionaires"