Gainesville residents will put their wallets on the line for a chance to score a date this Valentine’s Day.

The fifth annual Valentine’s Singles Auction will begin at 11:30 p.m. at The Backyard Bar, 232 SE First St., between Boca Fiesta and Palomino Pool Hall.

Event coordinator Stephen Tierney said that although the Facebook event has about 160 confirmed guests, he expects more to attend. Those who sign up to be auctioned off will be called on stage, have a brief description about themselves read and be sold to the highest bidder.

“It’s hilarious to see people go up on stage,” Tierney said. “Some are nervous, some are jumping around and some are even taking off their clothes.”

The entrance fee will range from $3 to $5, and bidding will start at $1.

Disc jockey Cameron Burris participated as a bachelor in the past. He said the bidding prices for dates usually aren’t steep.

“Bidding for a date isn’t that expensive,” he said. “But it has gone as high as about $140 for a bachelor.”

After the auction, participants will have their names entered into a raffle for a chance to win date nights sponsored by local restaurants.

The money raised from the auction will be split between the Civic Media Center and the Lynnae Hottinger Foundation for Ovarian Cancer Research.

Jessie Erickson, a 22-year-old UF public relations senior, will be auctioned off at the event. She said she has high hopes for a light-hearted night full of fun.

“I hope I get a sexy, tall, dark and handsome man as my highest bidder,” she said. “Who knows, I may meet the man of my dreams.”