Gainesville’s makin’ the doughnuts — Friday, for free

Gainesville residents will be glazed with excitement Friday as local shops join bakeries around the country in handing out doughnuts to celebrate the 75-year-old tradition of National Doughnut Day.

Residents can get a taste of the festivities at Krispy Kreme, Dunkin’ Donuts and Winn-Dixie. Locally owned Donut Connection, 5205 NW 39 Ave., is also participating.

Donut Connection owner Paul Nerger said the shop will offer a free doughnut with every purchase, and the menu will include flavors not typically found on the lineup, such as dulce de leche and peanut-butter-and-jelly.

At Krispy Kreme, everyone who requests it will get a free doughnut, said Shirley Buchanan, assistant manager at the 310 NW 13th St. location.

At Dunkin’ Donuts, patrons will receive a free doughnut with the purchase of a drink until closing, according to a news release.

While at Dunkin’ Donuts, customers may also want to try the glazed donut breakfast sandwich — bacon and eggs between a split glazed doughnut — which is joining the permanent menu in honor of the occasion, according to the store’s website.

Alexis Locay, a 20-year-old UF food science and human nutrition student, said National Doughnut Day is something she plans to participate in.

“It’s probably something me and my roommates will do late at night,” Locay said.