Gainesville man attacked with soiled underwear

Walter Liddell tried to get some sleep in his camper on Saturday afternoon. Instead, he got a face full of dirty underwear.

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrested Johnny Wade Broestler, 46, of 9428 N. County Road 226, and charged him with battery for allegedly attacking Liddell, 60, with a pair of soiled underwear, according to an ASO arrest report.

At about 4 p.m. Saturday, Broestler walked into the camper while Liddell slept and started demanding money for the landlord.

Liddell woke up, and the men started arguing.

The dispute turned physical when Broestler grabbed the dirty underwear and smeared it on Liddell’s face, according to the report.

“The underwear was full of poop, and he was trying to wipe it all over me,” Liddell said Monday.

Liddell then pushed Broestler away and shoved the underwear back in Broestler’s face.

The fight spilled out onto Liddell’s driveway, where a neighbor broke up the dispute, and Liddell called police.

“When the cops came by, he was still covered with the poop,” Liddell said. “He never tried to wash himself to get it off.”

Police booked Broestler into Alachua County Jail at 5:51 p.m. Saturday, where he remained Monday night with a bond set at $5,000.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.