Student Government elections begin today; polls close Wednesday

Student Government elections for Student Senate and executive positions start today.

Students can vote at any of the 11 polling locations from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The locations include the Broward Hall basement, Jennings first floor study room, Springs Area Office Room 202, Murphree Area Commons, Reitz Union third floor computer lab, McCarty Hall B computer lab B, Southwest Recreation Center, Levin College of Law student lounge, CSE computer lab, Marston Library and the Health Science Center Library Collaboration Center.

However, on Wednesday the CSE lab will close at 4:30 p.m. and the health center location will not open until 9 a.m.

The CSE computer lab will close early because a test is scheduled in the room at 5 p.m., according to the online CSE test area calendar.

The health center location will open at 9 a.m. because a meeting will be taking place in the center until 8:50 a.m., said Supervisor of Elections Toni Megna.

She said the Election Commission approved these locations, which were also the fall locations.

According to SG election codes, all polling locations must remain open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

"I didn't think it was necessary to lose an entire polling location on 20 minutes," Megna said.

She said it's better for students to be familiar with the locations.

Sen. Katie Waldman lead a committee that revised the election codes. She said she would have to further examine whether the shortened times violate the codes.

Due to problems with the fall elections, the new codes dictated that the Supervisor of Elections come up with a contingency plan in case last-minute problems occur.

In Megna's plan, if six or more of the polling locations are down for one to six hours, the polls could stay open up to three additional hours.

Megna declined to comment on whether the building administration was aware that polls might have to stay open until 11:30 p.m.

Vernon Kisling, the chairman of Marston Science Library, said he wasn't aware that polls might be open longer than 8:30 p.m. He said it doesn't matter, though, because the library will be open anyway.