Pramod Khargonekar, the six-year dean of UF?s College of Engineering, announced his resignation Dec. 4.

In a phone interview, Khargonekar said he has not specified a date to step down, but it could be as late as August depending on how the search for a new dean progresses.

Khargonekar has led the college since 2001.

The college?s associate dean for student affairs, Jonathan Earle, also retired in December, and Angela Lindner, an engineering professor, filled the position Jan. 1.

BI really want to confirm what I suspect most people do know here at the university œ that the College of Engineering very much values our undergraduate student population,C Lindner said.

After stepping down as dean, Khargonekar said he intends to return to the UF faculty as a professor and researcher.

In his career as dean, Khargonekar hired 90 new faculty members and developed UF?s biomedical engineering program and an institute for nanoscience and nanotechnology.

The on-campus institute, which is almost finished, will facilitate research in nanotechnology with biomedical applications, Khargonekar said.

He earned his Ph.D. in engineering from UF in 1981.

He said he is proud of the college?s undergraduate programs, which were reaccredited in August and continue to rank at the top of the nation.

BIt?s a very satisfying thing for students to come back as deans and have all the successes that I?ve had,C he said.

BI consider myself very, very lucky that all these really wonderful things have happened while I was dean.C

UF Provost Janie Fouke said a search committee to fill Khargonekar?s spot would be formed later this month.

Fouke said she?s already received a few nominations from the engineering faculty, but that?s as far as the search has gone.

She said she expects the search to take about a year or less because of the position?s high desirability.

BIt?s going to be a hard job to fill - hard shoes to fill,C Fouke said.