UF officials announced Friday that Joe Glover, interim dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, will become UF's provost starting in July.

Glover will replace Janie Fouke, who announced her resignation in March. Fouke will step down June 30.

Glover signed a three-year contract as provost and will receive $300,000 a year, according to a UF news release.

UF President Bernie Machen touted Glover's more than 25 year-history at UF and experience with the state's budget as reason to hire him for the position instead of conducting a national search, according to an e-mail sent to UF faculty and staff.

"He has the perfect combination of foresight and institutional memory, and that makes him the ideal person for this job," Machen wrote.

In a telephone interview Friday, Glover said he learned the news from Machen on Thursday. He said he is "quite pleased and excited" about his new promotion.

"I'm excited to have the opportunity to guide the university from that level because I think that the university has some challenges ahead," Glover said.

Glover said his colleagues have been supportive of his upcoming move from Turlington Hall to Tigert Hall, UF's administration building.

"The e-mails are rolling in," he said.

Glover has served as the interim CLAS dean since January 2007.

He was one of six candidates eligible to become the college's permanent dean, but the search committee chose Paul D'Anieri, an associate dean from the University of Kansas, to head the college instead.

Before leading UF's largest college, Glover was associate provost for six years and spent nine months as interim provost from December 2004 through August 2005.

In 1982, Glover joined UF's faculty as an assistant professor in the department of mathematics, and he was department chairman from 1993 to 1998. Glover also served as associate dean for faculty affairs of CLAS from 1998 to 2001.