New security measures will be in place at UF’s Fall commencement ceremonies at the O’Connell Center.

The O’Connell Center installed metal detectors at all gates in August ahead of the Fall sports season, which cost $55,000, according to Alligator archives. These metal detectors will be used for guests and graduates during commencement Dec. 15 and 16, said UF spokesperson Margot Winick.

The Office of Commencement is encouraging people attending to arrive two hours prior to the beginning of the commencement ceremony to have time for the security check, Winick said.

“All graduates and their guests will need to arrive early so that they can clear the metal detectors now in place at the Exactech Arena at the O’Connell Center,” Winick said.

In addition to passing through metal detectors, visitors entering the center with bags will have them checked, according to Alligator archives.

Meghan Asbury, a 21-year-old UF sustainability and the built environment senior, said she has not gone to the O’Connell Center since the installation of the metal detectors. Asbury, who will be graduating Dec. 16, said UF’s recommendation to arrive two hours early for commencement reminds her of going to airports.

“I do not think that’s a bad thing,” she said. “It is good to be safe. If someone has a weapon, they are more likely to be caught now.”