<p>Edelmann</p>

Edelmann

Update April 2, 2018: The state attorney's office later dropped all charges against Edelmann.

A UF assistant professor was arrested about two weeks ago after physically fighting with a woman over Hurricane Irma preparation, Gainesville Police said.

Jonathan Edelmann, 41, was arguing with the woman about removing a tree before the arrival of Hurricane Irma at about 7:37 p.m. Sept. 9 when he became violent and pushed her, causing her to hit the side of her face as she fell, according to an arrest report.

The woman, fearful of what Edelmann might do, began recording the incident after she fell. In the recording, Edelmann threatened to punch her in the face if she did not stay quiet, according to the report. He was also recorded threatening to punch the woman in the stomach.

Edelmann was arrested Sept. 9 on charges of domestic assault and domestic battery. Edelmann admitted to police he physically pushed and verbally threatened the woman, according to the report.

Edelmann is part of the faculty in the Department of Religion, said Janine Sikes, a UF spokesperson. He is on administrative leave with pay, Sikes said.

@catie_wegman

mwegman@alligator.org

Edelmann