NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe student chosen as finalist in modeling contest

<p>Jeremy White poses for the American Paint Horse Association’s international modeling contest, hoping to be featured in Chrome magazine.</p>

Jeremy White poses for the American Paint Horse Association’s international modeling contest, hoping to be featured in Chrome magazine.

A Santa Fe College sophomore and self-pro- claimed equestrian might become Chrome magazine’s next top model.

Jeremy White’s love for horses led him to apply, and the magazine chose him as one of the top five male finalists for the American Paint Horse Association’s international modeling contest.

If he wins, White, 25, and one female finalist will be flown to Texas for a magazine photo shoot, and they will also receive a mystery grand prize, he said.

“At first, we used professional models for the magazine, but then we had this thought for members to be our models.” — Rachel Florman, associate editor

In total, 10 people were chosen as finalists out of the 130 who applied, said Rachel Florman, the association’s associate editor.

“We’re extremely happy with the response we got,” she said. “At first, we used professional models for the magazine, but then we had this thought for members to be our models.”

Through his seven-year membership, White said he has talked to hundreds of people.

There are nearly 50,000 members in the association, Florman said.

“I saw it as a great opportunity for me to have a connection that brought me further into my love of horses,” he said. “It’s just like a big family to me.”

White’s horse, Ripley, inspired him to join the association. Although White sold him a few years ago, he hopes to buy him back in the future.

In the future, he hopes to transfer into the UF nursing program and eventually work with special needs children and therapeutic riding, White said.

For the meantime, he awaits the results of the contest. Voting will take place online until Sunday. The winners will be announced June 1.

“I think all kids go through a cowboy phase, and I’ve just never grown out of it,” White said.