Cofrin Nature Park celebrates reopening after renovations

Gainesville will celebrate Cofrin Nature Park’s renovations Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.

The City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department started ren- ovations in 2003 and closed the park for six months in fall 2015, said Linda Demetropoulos, the nature manager for PRCA.

The park, located at 4810 NW Eighth Ave., will host guided tours that lead guests through the park and its Survivors of Suicide

Loss Memory Garden, Demetropoulos said. Tours will take place at 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.

The garden’s coordinator, Judy Broward, said the area is meant to prevent suicides and provide support to survivors.

“Maybe the garden and seeing the pain that loved ones have after a loss will maybe inspire people to get help,” she said.

Demetropoulos said the free event will also include educational exhibits and presentations.

As part of the improvements, workers reduced erosion at the Beville Creek shoreline. They also removed a septic system and connected the public bathrooms to sanitary sewers, further improving the creek’s water quality, she said.

“The creeks look clean and a fabulous place to splash around in, but it’s got a lot of polluting bacteria that might be harmful to people,” she said.

Demetropoulos said the tours will also showcase a new footbridge.

“We’ve been a little bit slow to celebrate our success, but even after the park has been reopened, we’ve still continued to spiffy it up,” she said.

Addresses:

Limited parking available at University Church of Christ, 4626 NW Eighth Ave., and Cofrin Nature Park, 4810 NW Eighth Ave.
The City Beautification Board recently recognized the renovations.