Second medical marijuana dispensary opened Friday

About five months after Gainesville’s first medical marijuana dispensary opened, a second started serving patients Friday.

Trulieve, a Florida-based medical marijuana provider, opened its 10th in-state location at 1527 NW Sixth St., for patients to visit and pick up their medication, spokesperson Victoria Walker said. The company had delivered medical marijuana to patients’ Gainesville homes before its store opened.

Patients registered through the Florida Department of Health for medical marijuana use can purchase products, including oils, concentrates, creams, capsules and herb, Walker said.

“Our goal is to provide very high-quality medication, to educate and be a good part of every community that we’re in,” she said.

Dr. Henry Young, assistant medical director at UF’s Department of Emergency Medicine, wrote in an email that the plant should be studied more, although it is an alternative to medications like opioids.

Medical marijuana has helped to treat children with epilepsy, cancer patients with severe nausea and people with multiple sclerosis, he said.

“The medicinal marijuana dispensaries could offer our Alachua County population an alternative therapy,” he said.

Alexa Rivera, a UF family, youth and community sciences junior, said she uses marijuana to treat serious headaches or anxiety. She said the more access people have to medicinal marijuana to treat their pain, the better.

“I support it 1,000 percent,” the 24-year-old said. “You don’t get addicted to it the way you get addicted to what’s inside a pill bottle.”