The Swamp Restaurant hosts costume contest for dogs

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-e0212f28-38ab-6027-d8a1-38adfb24a0c2"><span>Smidge and Creek, who are 11-week-old puppies, wear sombreros and colorful ponchos. The brother and sister competed in a dog costume contest at The Swamp Restaurant’s Barktoberfest Yappy Hour.</span></span></p>

Smidge and Creek, who are 11-week-old puppies, wear sombreros and colorful ponchos. The brother and sister competed in a dog costume contest at The Swamp Restaurant’s Barktoberfest Yappy Hour.

Sunny, a 10-week-old goldendoodle dressed in an Oktoberfest outfit, had no expectations of winning a dog costume contest Wednesday.

His owner, Adam Langley, placed a Robin Hood-looking cap on Sunny’s head and sat on the patio of The Swamp Restaurant, located at 1642 W. University Ave., with a beer and friends at about 5 p.m., judging the other dogs’ costumes during Barktoberfest Yappy Hour.

“Winning would be great, but we are trying to stay humble over here,” Langley said.

The Swamp collected donations in exchange for entry in a raffle for various prizes, including donated dog toys and stuffed animals. The $400 raised was given to the Alachua County Humane Society. The restaurant tries to give $5,000 a year to ACHS, said Ryan Prodesky, the manager of The Swamp.

Finn, a 10-month-old shih tzu, won first place in a cardboard box with holes for his legs, head and tail. With five balloons floating over his head, he didn’t fly away. His owner was dressed as Russell, the junior wilderness explorer.

The staff of the restaurant voted to find the most liked costumes, Prodesky said.

“(The voting process) is not scientific,” he said. “But it’s very precise.”

More than 35 dogs entered the contest, which was free to participate in.

Dogs and their owners were able to eat and drink, as there was a special menu for dogs. The Barky Burger, Corn Pup and B------’ Chicken were $5. The Doggone Salmon was $12. All of the dishes were served on orange Frisbees, which the dogs got to keep.

Baylor Cherry, a UF journalism senior, works at the restaurant as part of the marketing team and helped plan the event. Cherry, 21, said the dog menu was successful because it was also human food.

“We treat dogs like humans here,” she said.

Prodesky said the customers and employees both enjoyed seeing the dogs participating in costumes.

“It’s good to do events like this,” he said. “There’s too much negativity in the world, and this takes people’s attention off of it.”