Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police found more than 20 grams of marijuana, a gun and an inactive grenade in a car they pulled over on NW 19 Street on Friday, according to an arrest report from Gainesville Police.

Alicia Dawn Mann

Alicia Dawn Mann

Driver Alicia Dawn Mann, 33, and passenger Jeffrey Craig Summerlin, 62, were pulled over after the car failed to stop at a stop sign, Officer Ben Tobias, a GPD spokesperson, wrote in an email.

Jeffrey Craig Summerlin

Jeffrey Craig Summerlin

Police officers said there was a smell of marijuana coming from within the car, which had no visible license plate, Tobias said. Summerlin and Mann both told police they didn’t know why the car smelled that way, he said.

Mann, who is on probation for grand theft, told police the car’s license plate was on the rear dashboard, according to the arrest report.

Police found a 9 mm Taurus handgun and grenade on Summerlin’s person, Tobias said.

When police asked him why he had a gun and grenade on him, he said it was dangerous on the streets, according to the report.

Police were able to determine that the WWII pineapple grenade was not live, Tobias said.

In the car, police found a green mason jar holding 21.6 grams of marijuana hidden between garbage bags filled with Mann’s laundry, according to the report.

After his arrest, Summerlin told police the gun and empty magazine were his and he did not have a concealed carry permit. Both Mann and Summerlin denied the marijuana was theirs.

Summerlin was arrested on a charge of possession of a concealed firearm, and Mann was charged with possession of a controlled substance. Summerlin and Mann were taken to the Alachua County Jail and released Saturday –– on his own recognizance and a $25,000 bond, respectively.

Summerlin declined to comment, and Mann couldn’t be reached.

Contact Robert Lewis at rlewis@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @Lewis__Robert.