UF Infirmary reschedules Chomp the Flu vaccines, shirts

Despite delays from Hurricane Irma, the UF Student Health Care Center is still giving out vaccines at the annual Chomp the Flu campaign.

The kickoff event will occur Sept. 27 outside the SHCC at 280 Fletcher Drive from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., said Cecilia Luna, the center’s marketing and communications coordinator. The event was rescheduled due to Hurricane Irma.

The first 1,500 students to get a shot will receive a tank top, Luna said.

Students are encouraged to register online in order to avoid wait times. Those not registered will have to check in with their Gator 1 Card and health insurance card, Luna said.

“We want people to be able to show up, get stuck with a needle, get a T-shirt and go,” Luna said.

Kailey Coughlin, a health support technician at the SHCC, said two students have already tested positive for the flu.

“Students are very prone to catching the flu due to all of the shared spaces on campus such as libraries, dorms, classrooms and bars,” Coughlin said.

This year, the SHCC ordered 10,000 4-strain flu vaccines to use until the flu season ends in December, said Kelly Mitchell, the flu coordinator at the infirmary. Mitchell said the infirmary will order more flu vaccines if needed.

Jess Simmonds-Short, a 21-year-old UF marketing senior, received her free flu shot three weeks ago.

“The flu shot at the infirmary is awesome; I get it every year,” Simmonds-Short said.