To help with mid-semester stress, the Reitz Programming Board will host a painting event promoting the importance of mental health.

“Paint Your Stress Away” will be held Nov. 15 in the Reitz Union from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., said Elexa Suarez, the co-director of the RPB Arts Committee.

This event is the first of its kind for the RPB, Suarez said. In the past, the club has created events to focus on physical health, but this year the committee wants to focus on mental health, she said.

“Students will be cramming and studying for all of their exams,” Suarez said. “We want them to just take a second to step back and relax.”

At the event, students will receive art supplies and listen to live music from local Gainesville artists, Suarez said. The event is free with a Gator 1 Card.

Jennifer Zedalis, a mental health expert and professor at the Levin College of Law, said it’s important for students to express themselves through the arts. She said UF is supporting the significance of mental health by promoting activities outside of schoolwork.

“Any creative outlook, such as painting and music, can de-stress a student,” Zedalis said.

She said there’s been an increase in the understanding of mental health concerns on campuses and having events that cater to mental health is important.

“There are many students on campus that are intimidated at the thought of reaching out to health professionals,” Zedalis said. “‘Paint Your Stress Away’ is an outlet for students that want to receive art therapy but are too scared to speak out.”

Dr. Gizem Toska, the assistant director of outreach and consultation at the Counseling & Wellness Center, located at 3190 Radio Road, said the stigma of seeking help for mental health is an issue on campus, but the painting event may allow students to find relief without feeling like a patient.

“Sitting down and engaging in intentional self-care can rejuvenate your mental health,” Toska said. “Research has made it really clear that depression and stress levels are increasing in college campuses.”